Shortly before a UK ship is due to depart from a foreign port, a rating (who is not listed on the Safe Manning Document) breaks a leg in a fall and requires hospital treatment prior to repatriation to his home country. What arrangements should the master?

The master should: (1) report the accident to local authorities in accordance with local law; 

(2) ensure first aid treatment is given in accordance with the Ship Captain’s Medical Guide; (3) arrange transportation of the rating to hospital; (4) ensure the ship’s safety officer investigates the accident; (5) report the accident to the MAIB; (6) contact the ship’s agent to make relief and travel arrangements and complete local immigration and other formalities; (7) make entries in discharge documentation, i. e. rating’s Discharge Book and ship’s List of Crew, writing “HOSPITALISED” if the rating is unable to sign in the upper grey signature space; (8) notify the Proper Officer (e. g. British Consul) that a seaman is being/has been left behind by a UK ship; (9) have two officers list the rating’s personal effects, annexing one copy of the list to the OLB and enclosing the other with the rating’s gear; (10) make up the rating’s bar and slops account; (11) inform the owners/managers of the rating’s overtime, bar and slops account; (12) land the personal effects to the agent; (13) make OLB entries relating to: the accident; the injury and treatment given; notification of the Proper Officer; arrangements for leaving the seaman behind. Since the rating was not listed on the Safe Manning Document, his absence does not affect the ship’s safe manning.


What do you think?

139 Points
Upvote Downvote

Written by Ship Inspection

Leave a Reply

If a seaman from a UK ship is being left behind in a foreign port, what information must the master give to the local Proper Officer?

To comply with UK employment law, what advice should be given to a seaman who is being signed off abroad?