What action should a master take to protect the owners’ interests following a berthing accident in which both the ship and quay are damaged?

The master should; (1) inform the owners and local P&I club correspondent as soon as possible;

(2) send a full report to the owners, signed where possible by the pilot, tug master(s) and any eye-witnesses (e. g. linesman), and including: speed and angle of approach, appended extracts from logs detailing helm and engine movements, weather conditions, state of tide and current; (3) record in the deck log any defects or damage to the jetty prior to or immediately on berthing; (4) with the assistance of the P&I club correspondent if necessary, appoint an independent surveyor to inspect the damage; this should ideally be a joint survey with a surveyor appointed by the port/terminal operator or their underwriters; (5) take and submit to owners photographs of the quay damage; (7) if requested, give the port/terminal operator and/or their surveyors every opportunity to survey the damage to the vessel, and attempt to agree with them the cause and extent of the damage.

What do you think?

138 Points
Upvote Downvote

Written by Ship Inspection

Leave a Reply

What document will the master probably receive from the port or terminal operator after colliding with a quay, and what should be the master’s response to it?

What reports must the master of a UK ship make following a berthing accident at a port outside the UK in which both the ship and the quay are seriously damaged?