What is the term used in the USA for a violent encounter between a moving vessel and a stationary object such as another vessel, a bridge, pier, wharf or shore installation?

An allision. US Coast Guard press releases frequently use the term, as in: “Coast Guard Responds to Container Vessel Allision with San Francisco Bay Bridge” and “Coast Guard Investigates Tanker Allision in Baton Rouge, LA “.

What do you think?

138 Points
Upvote Downvote

Written by Ship Inspection

Leave a Reply

A UK-flag Panamax bulker, loaded with a full cargo of grain, is steaming down¬river from a US Gulf port on an ebb tide. Due to a navigational error the ship runs aground on soft mud and is unable to refloat without assistance. What action should the maste

Following a collision with another ship, what information should be gathered for the owners’ lawyers?