For what grades of personnel and types of vessel are the certificates in the last answer required?

(1) The GOC is required by masters and deck officers on ships trading in Areas A2, A3 and A4, and by professional yachtmasters.Β 

(2) The ROC is required by Deck Department watchkeeping officers on SOLAS vessels trading exclusively within Sea Area A1. Many pilots, harbour masters, berthing masters, etc. also hold an ROC. (3) The LRC is suitable for “blue water” yachtsmen, fishing vessel officers, and masters and deck officers in commercial vessels of under 300 GT. (4) The SRC (which has replaced the VHF Operator’s Certificate) is mandatory for personnel in non-commercial “voluntary-fit” vessels, such as small pleasure craft, which fit GMDSS equipment (i. e. VHF DSC).


Share this:

Written by Ship Inspection

Leave a Reply

A UK ship is fitted with GMDSS equipment. How many operators should it carry, and what certificate should they hold?

What radio operator certificates are issued in the UK to seafarers?