What are the certification requirements for engineer officers on UK high-speed craft?

They are required to be appropriately certificated under The Merchant Shipping (Training and Certification) Regulations and must hold a Type Rating Certificate (TRC). On HSC with gas turbine propulsion they may hold either Motor, Steam or Combined certificates of competency.Β 

In addition, senior engineer officers (as specified in the Safe Manning Document) are required to hold a certificate attesting to the completion of an MCA-approved gas turbine training programme for the machinery on their own vessel. A TRC must be revalidated every 5 years.


Share this:

Written by Ship Inspection

Leave a Reply

What are the certification requirements for ratings and other personnel on UK highspeed craft?

Can further routes be added to a Type Rating Certificate?