A UK container ship loses several containers overboard in heavy weather. Some of them contain dangerous goods; others contain marine pollutants. What reports should be made?

(1)Β  A Dangerous Goods (DG) Report and Marine Pollutants (MP) Report, as described in MGN 242, to the nearest coast radio station or coastguard station;

Β (2)a report (by phone, fax or telex) to the MAIB of loss of cargo overboard and possible serious harm to environment; and (3) a report to the owners and charterers (if any). The ship’s agent at the destination port should also be informed, since receivers of cargo in missing containers will have to be notified. The P&I club correspondent for that port should also be notified.


Share this:

Written by Ship Inspection

Leave a Reply

Some drums of dangerous goods have to be jettisoned by a ship in the English Channel when they start leaking dangerous fumes. What reports should be made?

What records should be made on board following the discharge in the previous question?