A UK ship is in a remote place (e. g. South Georgia) and has sustained hull damage. If a class surveyor is unobtainable at this place, what action should the master take?

He should immediately report to the owners, who, in order to comply with class rules, must report to the classification society.Β 

The society will usually require the ship to proceed to a port where it is represented, and will maintain the ship in class (in her damaged state) until she reaches that port. No certificate of seaworthiness will be required by the society. The master should make a detailed survey of the damage with the chief engineer, send a damage report to the owners’ technical superintendent, effect a temporary repair to make the vessel fit for the voyage, report to owners on completion, and sail for the survey port. Advice on the repair may be requested from the class society.Β 


Share this:

Written by Ship Inspection

Leave a Reply

When sending a hull damage report to the classification society (via the owners), what basic information will be required?

What are the knock-on effects of a UK ship not having a valid Certificate of Class or Interim Certificate of Class?