What checks should the master of a UK ship make when engaging a non-UK deck or engineer officer on a Crew Agreement?

(1) The officer’s non-UK Certificate of Competency (with revalidation endorsement, where necessary);Β 

(2) UK Certificate of Equivalent Competency or MCA’s Confirmation of Receipt of Application; (3) ENG 1 or equivalent Medical Fitness Certificate; and (4) the officer’s ability to speak and understand English well enough to comply with Regulations.


Share this:

Written by Ship Inspection

Leave a Reply

A foreign-certificated deck or engineer officer is joining a UK ship but does not yet have a CEC. What document should he or she have?

What checks should be made of an officer’s Certificate of Competency or Certificate of Equivalent Competency at the time of engagement?